Neil Simon’s Musical Fools
“FABULOUSLY FUNNY… BREATHLESSLY ENERGETIC… VISUALLY SPLENDID… Complex, detailed choreography delivered with hilarious precision… The musical numbers come fast and furious with an expert band… so hilarious that I giggled, guffawed, snorted, and howled basically through out the whole show.”
— Paul Myrvold, Theatre Notes (read the full review)
“CHARMING… The characters are a mix of Seussical like figures and Wizard of Oz munchkins… each musical number outshin[es] the previous…you’ll find yourself humming upon leaving the theatre, the tell tale sign of a hit song. To escape a real world, fraught with worry and fear, come see ‘Musical Fools’”
— Bonnie Priever, Curtain Up (read the full review)
“FUNNY… An enthusiastic cast, accompanied by a truly delightful live orchestra… strong singing and really clever choreography… Applause for all of the Fools on the stage and those of us cavorting in the audience.”
— Michael Sheehan, On Stage Los Angeles (read the full review)
“WOW… As perfect an adaptation as any Neil Simon and/or musical theater lover could hope for, directed by West with abundant joie de stupidité and performed by an all-around stellar cast…”
— Stephen Stanley, Stage Scene LA (read the full review)
A hilarious musical adaptation of the Neil Simon play, Fools, with book and lyrics by Simon, and music and lyrics by Phil Swann and Ron West (deLEARious, The People Vs Friar Laurence). In 1893 Ukraine, a young tutor arrives in Kulyenchikov after a harrowing journey — only to discover that the village is cursed, rendering every resident as dumb as a bag of rocks. Will he fall victim to the curse, or can he save himself and the village too?
• Book and Lyrics by Neil Simon
• Music and Lyrics by Phil Swann and Ron West
• Adapted from the play Fools by Neil Simon.
• Directed by Ron West
• Music Direction by Jan Roper
• Choreography by Louisa Kendrick Burton
• Starring James Byous, Parvesh Cheena, Cat Davis, Hank Jacobs, Derek Manson,Brendan Mulally, Jason Paige, Beth Robbins, Robyn Roth, Clare Snodgrass
• Also featuring Nina Genatossio, Juliane Hagn, Diane Renee, Bolor Saruul, Jack Sharpe
• Presented by Open Fist Theatre Company, Martha Demson, artistic director
Previews: Oct. 6 – Oct. 11
Performances: Oct. 12 – Nov. 17
• Saturdays at 8 p.m.: Oct. 12 (opening), Oct. 19, 26; Nov. 2, 9,16
• Sundays at 4 p.m.: Oct. 20, 27; Nov. 3, 10, 17
• Mondays at 8 p.m.: Oct. 14, 21, 28; Nov. 4, 11
TICKETS: $10 – $35
• Saturdays and Sundays: $30 with advance purchase, $35 at the door
• Mondays: $25 with advance purchase, $30 at the door
• Students with valid ID: $15 at the door
• Children (12 and under): $10
• Family four pack (two adults and two children): $65 with advance purchase
Can’t see the show but still want to help? Please donate here!
Family friendly – appropriate for ages 8 and up.